As we transition from winter to spring, many of our surroundings start to hold a new perspective: flowers start to bud, fire pits start to burn, shorts and sandals are dug out of the closet, and the sun sets a little sweeter. It’s easy to get in the mood for spring fashion trends and waterside cocktail hours that can last until dusk.
There is, however, one thing in particular that I have trouble transitioning: my lunch. I go from soup to sandwich to salad and back again in the winter. It’s about time somebody (anybody!) came up with some new lunch box ideas! So here I go: my recap of one week of lunch box goodies.
Day 1: the blt lettuce wrap
- romaine lettuce (whole leaves)
- cherry tomatoes (diced into quarters)
- bacon (precooked or homemade)
- mayo (or substitute low-fat sour cream)
Spread mayo on a full lettuce leave. Add tomatoes and bacon, wrap, and enjoy!
Day 2: broccoli salad
- raw broccoli (chopped into small trees)
- red grapes, sliced in half
- sliced almonds
- dried cranberries (you can also substitute dried cherries or raisins)
- cooked bacon (I used my leftovers from day 1!)
- white wine vinegar
- a pinch of sugar
Combine chopped broccoli, red grapes, almonds, dried cranberries, and bacon into a bowl. Add just enough mayo to lightly coat the ingredients. Top with a pinch of sugar and a drop of white wine vinegar. Chill in refrigerator before serving.
Day 3: the hummus pita delight
- pita bread or sandwich thins
- hummus (original or try a flavored hummus)
- feta cheese crumbles
Spread hummus on pita bread, top with cucumber and feta cheese crumbles. Serve as an open-face sandwich.
Day 4: tomato basil sandwich
- 2 slices of bread (Italian bread preferred, or a toasted version of what you have on hand will work!)
- mozzarella cheese (I buy mozzarella as a block and cut fine slices)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- basil and spinach leaves
- garlic-pepper seasoning
- olive oil
Toast your bread until crisp and then brush lightly with olive oil. Create your sandwich by stacking the basil and spinach leaves (1:2 ratio), mozzarella, and tomato slices. Season with a pinch of garlic-pepper before closing with the top slice of toasted bread. Prepare ingredients the night before work for easy assembly at the office.
Day 5: pb & banana sandwich
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 banana (sliced)
- crunchy peanut butter
What’s that saying…an oldie but a goodie? This was definitely a Friday treat for me! I paired this savory sandwich with a fresh apple and skim milk. It’s like I’m a kid again!
I hope these meals make your lunch box happy!